Hartford Rescue Mission exists to offer help, hope and the life changing message of God’s love in Jesus Christ to the homeless and needy of Central Connecticut.
Serving in the capital city since 2005, HRM is an expanding Christian ministry serving the Greater Hartford community. By sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit, we are meeting the spiritual, social and physical needs of men, women and children in need. Hartford Rescue Mission serves an ever changing society through direct rescue mission work. As God leads, we partner with churches, individuals and organizations to maximize our total effectiveness.
The Mission is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that depends on donations for its support.
- To preach the gospel to all attending the mission.
- To provide food for the hungry, clothes for the poor, and shelter for the homeless (including assistance in locating residences)
- To provide discipleship for those searching.
- To be scripturally based in all we do.
- To help people become more mature in Jesus and good citizens in the community.
Hartford Rescue Mission is dedicated to the building up of God’s Kingdom on earth. Through the continued focus on meeting the needs of the poor and the homeless HRM will strive to:
- Help people know the saving grace of Jesus, and through Him, gain wisdom for living through the preaching, teaching and spreading of His Gospel.
- Follow God’s command to love our neighbor as ourselves by offering a nightly gospel or devotional message, nutritious meals, a clothing bank and life skills training to all who come to the Mission. Additionally, HRM’s medium term vision is to provide lodging and fellowship for homeless men; HRM’s longer term vision also includes providing these services for women and children.
- “Celebrate Recovery” services for the lost and broken suffering from destructive “hurts, habits and hang-ups”. This will be a once a week meeting to include a meal and facilitated group discussion in a non-judgmental atmosphere.
- To be exemplary in all that we do with clients, employees, volunteers and donors.
- Do unto others, as we would have them do unto you.
From the Executive Director
The executive director is Rev. Gregg Woods (M.Div., Asbury Seminary), former football standout in Connecticut who earned a full scholarship to the University of Kentucky and played pro football in the NFL and CFL. He and his wife, Lenora, have three children at home.
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
There is no doubt that this is a painful time for everyone. We are all suffering through one of the toughest financial downturns in history. Add this to the fact we are at war, and this is a presidential transition year, and uncertainty — even anxiety — can result. I personally do not know anyone who has not felt the impact of these turbulent times in some way.
People frequently ask me, “How are things at the Mission? Are you seeing more people?” We are seeing more people in need. As you know, there are many reasons for being homeless or simply in a bad situation, such as loss of a job, the high cost of housing, foreclosure, medical expenses, domestic violence, and substance abuse. Whatever the reason, HRM has always been committed to helping everyone who comes to us for help. And they have been coming.
As we continue to reach out during this time of human urgency, I hope that you will remember those who are less fortunate than you and I. Meeting the growing needs during these difficult times is not easy, and we need your help.
Occasionally, I have heard a donor say, “My small gift is insignificant.” Please know we do not feel that way. A lot of small gifts may be just what we need to be able to continue meeting the increased demands during this tough time. You are important to us. We need your help financially, as volunteers, and with gift-in-kind donations, so we can meet this urgent need. And if you happen to be a dad or a mom who has just lost a job, we can offer you a food box to help you feed your family.
Finally, I want you to know we are praying for you as we face these times together. We serve an awesome God and know that we can trust in Him!